Dr Pell, a graduate of the General Seminary, was a member of New York's 400, and had taken Holy Orders later in life. This was his only position. He instigated the name change from Holy Sepulchre to Resurrection in 1907, arranged (and probably paid) for the additions of 1902 - the entry ways, "tower" and office additions behind the hall, and served for twenty years without stipend. Unfortunately, even though he lived in a massive mansion at the corner of our street and Fifth Avenue, which he sold in 1924, and left the world's largest collection of Export Porcelain to the Met (still there), he left nothing to the church and it nearly closed in 1924. For a time it appeared that Trinity Wall Street would operate the church as a chapel (it had several such), but St James' blocked this and tried to have the church closed.